The Fam

The Fam

Vivian Grey

Vivian Grey

Easton Mason

Easton Mason

Monday, January 3, 2011

What's in a name?

We have been so eager to share the name we have picked for our precious little girl but wanted to make it known to family first and figured Christmas was the best time to share.  We went to the ranch on Christmas Eve to spend the holiday with Spencer's parents and brothers.  We had a wonderful dinner that night but felt announcing the name was just not the appropriate setting.  Christmas morning we woke up and opened presents and still didn't feel the timing was right.  Right after lunch Spencer went upstairs with his dad and grandfather to watch TV and tinker around with Chris's new record player.  Spencer decided he wanted to ask his father and grandfather privately because the name we chose has special meaning to them.  Spencer said his grandfather perked up and smiled and said he would be honored to have us name our baby girl Vivian.  Vivian was his first wife's name, Chris's mother, who unfortunatley passed away at an early age soon after Chris and Sherrie got married.  I think the name is timeless, beautiful and has special meaning.  Spencer then came downstairs to share the news with Sherrie and I and then we all went upstairs and shared the middle name, Grey.  Grey is Spencer's middle name.  I love that name as well.

That afternoon we drove to my parents house and shared the news with them.  I wrote each letter of her name on a piece of paper and had each family member pick a letter out of a hat.  Then I made them put the letters together to come up with her name.  My parents are excited about the name too.  Maybe our next child will carry on some Skarsten/Cheek names.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to have JUST discovered you were blogging. Now I can't wait to litter your page(s) with commentary....from YOURS TRULY.

    May I make a suggestion as to the name of bebe #2? Howabout CheekAlyssius (pronounced Cheek-A-licious). No, really, I'm serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm just catching up again... I love the name! How can a little girl named Vivian not be perfect?! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete